6. Voice of Triumph
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!”
The sixth utterance of the our Saviour Jesus Christ on the Cross is the voice of triumph – It is finished.
The Word of God always makes me tremble in fear. How much hidden treasures lay beneath them! And, these words, “It is finished!” have so much hidden beneath them, it is tough to know where to begin and when to end.
1. The demands of the Law are finished, for Jesus paid it in full. We are not under the Mosaic covenant anymore, as Jesus fulfilled the Law completely, as He bore the punishment and the curse of the Law on the Cross, for us.
2. The command of sin over us is finished. Since we are not under the Law anymore, but under the reign of grace, sin does not have any authority over us anymore.
3. The authority of devil over us is finished. The devil does not have any authority over a believer anymore, unless we give into his evil and cunning schemes. His head was crushed on the Cross.
4. Reconciliation of mankind with God our Father is finished. The veil that covered the Holiest of Holies is torn apart, allowing us to enter the throne of grace with confidence.
5. The Will of God, regarding the ministry of Jesus is finished. Our Father in Heaven sent Jesus for a particular ministry. To show how much He loves us and those of us who believe in Jesus Christ be saved (John 3:16). And that ministry is finished. Now, we know the love of God through Calvary and when we believe in the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we are saved.
There are many more hidden truths behind this proclamation. It is the voice of triumph from the Cross. When was the last time, you said words of triumph, while carrying your cross?